- Potential applicants must be the parent or legal guardian of at least one child under 16 at the time of application.
- All household members moving into Habitat homes must be Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents.
- At least one applicant or co-applicant(s) must be employed full-time or full-time-equivalent, meaning multiple part-time jobs
- At least one applicant or co-applicant(s) must have at least 3 years of employment history in Canada.
- Applicant and co-applicant(s) must be first-time homebuyers currently living in rental housing.
- Applicant and co-applicant(s) cannot afford to purchase a home through the conventional market.
- No recent bankruptcies (must have been discharged three or more years ago), and no recent consumer proposals (must have been discharged at least 2 years ago).
Families need to demonstrate their ability to pay an affordable mortgage and sound financial management, including:
• Stable employment income
• Responsible debt management
• Fair or better credit report on Equifax Credit report
- Primary source of income for the family must be employment income. Supplemental sources of income (Child Tax Benefit, Employment Insurance, Child Support, etc.), may or may not be included and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- The family’s Gross Household Income must be sufficient to cover the cost of homeownership for the specific project
- Applicants and co-applicants will be asked to submit several documents to support financial status, including but not limited to current employment proof, debt statements, a current credit report and asset statements.
Step 1: Complete Eligibility Form
Interested families are encouraged to fill out our Eligibility Questionnaire. Full honesty is required. Any misinformation or dishonesty will lead to automatic disqualification and you will not be allowed to re-apply to our program for one year.
Step 2: Watch the online information session
If you meet our basic eligibility criteria, you will be sent a link to video that will cover important information about Habitat for Humanity GTA, our Homeownership program and how our mortgage model works.
- Watch all chapters of the information session video and re-watch any chapter that are confusing. Ensure you understand how the Habitat for Humanity GTA Homeownship model works and how it is different than conventional homeownership.
- If, after watching the video, you have questions that have not been answered, send us an email at the email address provided in the video.
Step 3: Fill out and submit online Application Form
- Use the document list provided to gather all the required supporting documents before you start filling out the application.
- All supporting documents will need to be in PDF, JPEG or HEIC format to upload to your application.
- Many of these documents are mandatory, so you will only be able to complete your application and submit once all required documents are uploaded.
- Application forms will only be reviewed once all required documentation is attached/uploaded to your application.
- We require full honesty and transparency. Any dishonesty, misleading or intentionally missing information will lead to immediate disqualification and you will not be allowed to re-apply for a period of 1 year.
Step 4: Await Response
- You will receive an automatic confirmation email that your application has been received. The review process can take anywhere from 1 to 3 months as we do an extensive multi-step review of applications that are a good fit for our program.
- We may be in touch with question about your application or to set up a virtual meeting.