A SYMPOSIUM TO SOLVE OUR CITY’S HOUSING CRISIS
All aspects of the housing continuum are facing challenges:
- Vulnerable individuals, renters and homeowners are struggling with accessibility, vacancy rates, affordability and the stress test;
- Builders are struggling with Community Benefits Charges, development charges, lands use assessment and complex planning processes;
- Affordable housing advocates and social agencies are struggling with funding, land access and perceptual challenges;
- Municipalities are looking for scaled solutions to achieve their community plans.
Leading communities have found ways to resolve these problems by adopting new models of cooperation and interaction.
Results from the second round of discussions on November 21
Download the notes from November 21st HERE.
Date: November 21, 2019 – 1:00-4:30 pm
Location: Community Living Guelph Wellington, 8 Royal Road, Guelph
Results of the 2-day Symposium held on Sept 19 and 20:
Download the Outcomes Summary HERE.
Download Media Release dated September 23, 2019 HERE.
Download Information Sheet HERE.
Copies of the presentations are available here:
- Dr. Rebecca Sutherns
- Stewart McDonough, City of Guelph
- Mark Poste, County of Wellington
- Greg Dewling, Capital Region Housing
- Jeff Neven / Graham Cubitt, Indwell
- Steve Cordes, Youth Opportunities Unlimited
- Bernadette Majdell, HomeSpace
Thank you to our facilitator:
Dr. Rebecca Sutherns, Sage Solutions
Thank you to the presenters:
Stewart McDonough, City of Guelph; Mark Poste, County of Wellington – Framing the Symposium
Greg Dewling, Capital Region Housing – Synergizing Across the Housing Continuum: Addressing All Needs
Jeff Neven / Graham Cubitt, Indwell – Case Study in Supportive Housing
Steve Cordes, Youth Opportunities Unlimited – Case Study in Social Enterprise
Bernadette Majdell, HomeSpace – Community Land Trusts and Co-operatives
Thank you to the participating organizations:
10C – 10 Carden
Blue Valley Building
Built for Zero
City of Guelph
Canadian Mental Health Association of Waterloo Wellington
Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corp.
Community Living Guelph Wellington
County of Wellington
Family Transition Place
Guelph & District Association of REALTORS
Guelph & District Home Builders Association
Guelph & Wellington Task Force for Poverty Elimination
Guelph City Council
Guelph Community Foundation
Guelph Community Health Clinic
Guelph Independent Living
GW Housing Committee
Habitat for Humanity
Immigrant Services Guelph-Wellington
J. David McAuley Architect Inc.
Kindle Communities; CAFS
Lakeside HOPE House
Legal Clinic of Guelph
Local Immigration Partnership
Options for Homes
Royal City Mission
Sentry Group Wealth Partners
West Neighbourhood House
WG Drug Strategy
Together we can pave the way towards an affordable city for all.
ORGANIZED BY HABITAT FOR HUMANITY WELLINGTON DUFFERIN GUELPH IN CONSULTATION WITH AFFORDABLE HOUSING LEADERS AND STAKEHOLDERS | FACILITATED BY DR. REBECCA SUTHERNS